10+ Easy To Prepare In 5 Minutes Recipes To Try Today!
Black Bean Burritos
These vegetarian burritos are easy to make and only require a few ingredients. They also have lots of flavor and protein. You don’t have to spend a lot of time making this recipe.
- Finely chop 1/4 medium-sized yellow onion
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 can (15-ounces) of black beans, drain and rinse
- 4 (10-inch) flour tortillas
- 6 large eggs
- Add a pinch of salt and black pepper
- 2 tbs lime zest
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco
- 1/2 cup tomatillo salsa
Whisk eggs together with salt and pepper in a large bowl. Heat butter in a large non-stick pan on medium heat. Add egg mixture. Stirring constantly, cook the egg mixture until it forms soft curds. This should take about 3 to 5 min.
Mash beans with lime juice using a potato masher. Place tortillas on a clean surface. Spread mashed beans along the center of each tortilla. Sprinkle salsa, eggs scrambled, cilantro, and crumbled cheese evenly on top.
First, fold up the bottom tortilla, fold in the sides, and roll tightly.
Nutrition: Serving: 1 | Calories: 552kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 24g
Classic Banana Oatmeal
This is a great recipe. It’s creamy (the egg yolk is the secret) and fills me for hours. It’s simple ingredients, easy to make, and can be customized. It’s my favorite because it is easy to make and you can always get bored of it.
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oatmeal
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tbsp honey or agave.
- You can add toppings such as peanut butter, chopped almonds, dates, or fresh fruits.
- Chopped banana
- 1/2 cup egg whites
In a small saucepan, combine the oatmeal, 1/3 cup water, banana, and salt. Bring to boil.
Add the egg whites slowly, stirring until the oats are creamy.
Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes more or until the oatmeal is cooked.
Top with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
Nutrition: Serving: 1 | Calories: 366kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 6g *not including toppings
Red Lentil Soup
This Middle Eastern favorite is delicious. It’s light and nutritious. This dish is easy to prepare, vegan, and high in protein.
- 1.5 cups of red lentil
- 5 cups of water, or as much as you need to achieve the desired consistency
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 tbsp cumin Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cube vegetable Bouillon
- Salt to your liking
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- Half a lemon juice, adjust according to your taste.
Rinse the lentil well and set it aside.
In a saucepan, heat oil, add garlic, and cook for a few seconds
Sauté chopped onion and bay leaf until translucent.
Sauté the carrot for 2 minutes. Then add the vegetable bouillon and spices. Add the water.
Let the lentil simmer for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until tender.
After the lentil has been cooked, take out the bay leaf and blend it in a blender/food processor until smooth and creamy.
Allow the soup to simmer for about 5 minutes before turning off the gas.
You can also add fresh lemon juice. Add chopped parsley/ coriander leaves and olive oil to garnish. Chili flakes can also be used. Enjoy hot!
Nutrition: Serving: 1 | Calories: 219kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 3g
Beef Stuffed Sweet Potato
This recipe is perfect for kids and those who struggle to get vegetables. They are so small that we chop them and mix them with the stuffing. It almost goes unnoticed. They remind me of tacos, so they will be a hit with your body!
- 4 small sweet potatoes, washed and scrubbed
- 4 medium carrots, 2 chopped roughly and 2 shredded
- 1/2 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar and 1 teaspoon of white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oils
- 3/4 pound of lean ground beef (can be substituted for soya mince to get a more plant-based option)
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
In a large skillet, brown the ground beef and chopped onion. Drain the grease, and then add the salsa and taco seasoning.
Turn heat down to medium-low and continue cooking for 5 minutes, or until the mixture thickens and is fully heated. To achieve the desired consistency, add up to 1/2 cup of water.
While the meat cooks, poke holes in the sweet potatoes. Cook the sweet potatoes in the microwave for 8-10 mins. Flip the sweet potatoes halfway through. Continue cooking for another 1-3 minutes if the potatoes are not soft enough. Depending on how big your microwave is, you can cook one or all of the potatoes.
Let sweet potatoes cool, then slice them in half lengthwise. Then use a fork to fluff up the insides.
Spread the cooked taco meat on the sweet potatoes. You can also add any toppings you like shredded cheese or avocado, guacamole, or sour cream. Enjoy!
Nutrition: Serving: 1 | Calories: 355kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 15g
Roast Chicken And Vegetables
This dish is great for feeding a crowd because it has everything you need in one dish. It also takes very little time to make. This makes for a balanced meal with quality protein from chicken and healthy fats from olive oil and chicken. It also has carbohydrates from potatoes and tons of micronutrients, thanks to seasoned vegetables.
- Cut in half and trimmed to 1.5 lb.
- 1 bell pepper (any color)
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 Roma tomato, cored and quartered
- 2.5-3 tbsp olive oils
- Salt black pepper, pinch
- Garlic powder
- 1 whole chicken (2lb).
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Use aluminum foil to line a roasting pan.
Combine the potatoes, tomatoes, onions, peppers, and onions in a large bowl. Use 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil to coat the potatoes. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and Place vegetables in a baking pan.
Add the chicken to the pan. The meat will be tender if you place it breast-down, but the skin will not get crispy. Use 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil to coat the meat. Salt, pepper, and garlic powder can be added to your taste.
Roast the chicken, vegetables, and other ingredients for approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the meat reaches 165°F. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Serve the chicken and vegetables together.
Nutrition: Serving: 1 | Calories: 461kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 45g | Fat: 17g
Breakfast Egg Muffins
These are great for meal prep because they can be frozen and reheated on the go. These are also high in protein and easy to prepare.
- 1 non-stick cooking spray
- 6 large egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Ground black pepper to 1/8 teaspoon
- 1 medium bell pepper, red
- 3/4 cup spinach
- 1-ounce cheddar cheese
Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 375°F
Whisk the eggs and milk together in a large bowl. Season the fish with salt and pepper.
Cut the bell pepper into small pieces. Place the spinach leaves on a plate, then roll them up and cut them thinly. This is known as chiffonade.
Add the spinach, peppers, and shredded cheese to the egg mixture.
Fill the muffin cups 3/4-full and bake for 20-25 mins until the center is set but not runny.
Let cool down before you serve.
Nutrition: Serving: 1 | Calories: 77kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 5g
Mediterranean Tuna Salad
This recipe is a great option for light, healthy, and nutritious lunch ideas. Although it’s not made with mayo, it’s still packed with flavor and protein.
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped finely
- 1/2 Red onion, chopped finely
- 1 cucumber, cut lengthwise & sliced
- 15 oz albacore tuna fish (drained)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chickpeas/garbanzo beans
- 1/2 cup chopped black olives
- 1 bunch of fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and black pepper
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- One lemon’s zest
Combine red bell peppers, red onion, cucumbers, albacore tuna fish, and garlic in a large bowl. Add chickpeas, black olives, lemon zest, and chickpeas to the bowl. Mix.
Add olive oil and lemon juice to a small bowl. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
Garnish the dish with fresh parsley, and serve it cold. Enjoy!
Nutrition: Serving: 1 | Calories: 134kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 6g
Pasta Bake With Cheese & Tomato Paste
A pasta bake is the perfect meal or lunch idea for days when you don’t have the time or budget to cook. This is a recipe that I love to make for my family.
- 2 x 400g (14oz) cans cherry tomato sauce
- 1 finely chopped red onion
- 3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced and/or crushed
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika or chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper
- 500g (1lb), short pasta of your choosing (I used penne).
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Fresh basil for your table
Heat the oven to 200oC/400oF.
Sauté the garlic and onion in a little olive oil until they become soft and translucent.
Stir in the tomatoes, herbs and spices, balsamic vinegar, sugar, and stock/wine. Let the mixture simmer for about 10-15 minutes while the pasta is cooking. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta’s cooking water.
Once the pasta has been cooked, reduce the sauce and combine the ingredients. To loosen the sauce and pasta a little, add some of the pasta’s cooking water.
Transfer half of the pasta mixture to a baking dish and add half of your cheese. Continue with the remaining pasta and cheese.
Bake the pasta for about 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
Allow to cool for five minutes, then serve with fresh basil.
Nutrition: Serving: 1 | Calories: 442kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 10g
Black Bean Bowl
A goodness bowl with herbed rice, pico de Gallo, fresh salsa, spicy black beans, and roasted vegetables is a great choice. This Chipotle-style bowl is a favorite. This bowl is vegan, and the black beans can be substituted for beef, tofu, or any other protein you prefer.
- Spicy Black Beans
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fresh crushed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or 14 cups fresh oregano
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- A pinch of cayenne, salt, and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 15 oz (425.24g) cans of black beans drained, or 1.5 cups cooked black bean.
- To roast vegetables
- 1 red bell pepper thinly chopped
- 1 thinly sliced green bell pepper
- Slice 1/2 of a red onion
To make guacamole
- 1 ripe avocado
- 3 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1 small tomato chopped finely
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro optional
- A pinch of salt, black pepper, and garlic
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- To view the pico de gallo
- 2 medium tomatoes finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped white or red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Finely chop 1/2 jalapeno chili or hot chili
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Choice of cooked rice
- Chopped lettuce
Add all ingredients to a saucepan over medium heat. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Mix in about 1 tablespoon of water. Cover the pan and let it cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until the beans become hot.
Roast the vegetables. Place the vegetables on a grill pan and heat it to medium-high heat. Place the vegetables on the grill pan by spraying oil. Both sides should be cooked until they have turned brown.
Make the Guacamole. Mix the avocado with the remaining ingredients. Adjust the seasonings by tasting.
Make the pico de gallo. Mix all ingredients, taste and adjust, and then set aside.
Make the bowl. It’s up to you how you assemble it. I prefer to serve the beans, rice, guacamole, and vegetables separately. Others prefer to stack them or mix them together. Serve immediately after the beans have cooled.
Nutrition: Serving: 1 | Calories: 404kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 16g
Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich
The best of all… a classic PB&J! The classic is the best!
- Two slices of bread
- 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 1 tbsp Jelly, jam
Spread peanut butter on 1 slice of bread
Spread the jelly on another piece of bread
Spread the peanut butter on top of the jelly-filled bread. Enjoy it cold or grilled.
Nutrition: Serving: 1 | Calories: 270kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 17g